Template Job Description
Consultant in Emergency Medicine/Paediatric Emergency Medicine (April 2011) for posts approved under the EMP is also available as a resource.
EMP Implementation Guidance
Individual Implementation Guides (1 -9) (Updated January 2013)
Working through and beyond Emergency Department Overcrowding
This seminar took place at RCSI in Dublin on 14th November 2011. Below are the Programme from the day long seminar and the Presenters’ slidesets.
Acute Medicine Programme
The Report of the National Acute Medicine Programme was published by the HSE on 22nd December 2010.
A summary of the issues that arise for Emergency Medicine has been compiled by Dr Geary for the benefit of IAEM Members.
- Fitzgerald G et al. Emergency Department Triage Revisited. EMerg Med J 2010;27,86-92.
- Optimising Emergency Department Throughput. John M Shriver et al. 2010. Taylor & Francis Group, LLC.
- Wilner JL et al.? Optimising Emergency Department Front-End Operations. Annals of Emergency Medicine 55;2:Feb 2010.
- Acute medical care. Report of the Acute Medicine Task Force. October 2007. Royal College of Physicians
- (Acute floor).A guide to Medical and Surgical Admissions. Dept of Health.
- Cooke et al. Reducing attendances and waits in Emergency Departments NCCSDO 2005.
- Goodacre et al. Should ambulant patients be directed to reception or triage first? Emerg Med J 2001; 18:441-443
- Integrated hospital emergency care improves efficiency. Emerg Med J 2008;25:78-82 doi:10.1136/emj.2007.051037
- Patient Safety in Emergency Medicine. Pat Croskerry, et al. 2009 by Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Hospital Overcrowding
- Med J Aust. 2006 Mar 6;184(5):208-12. The association between hospital overcrowding and mortality among patients admitted via Western Australian emergency departments.Sprivulis PC, Da Silva JA, Jacobs IG, Frazer AR, Jelinek GA.
- The impact of emergency department (ED) overcrowding on in-patient length of stay, mortality and time critical conditions. August 2009.
- Access block and Overcrowding. ACEM. Available at http://www.acem.org.au/media/Access_Block1.pdf
- Increase in patient mortality at 10 days associated with emergency department overcrowding. Drew B Richardson. MJA 2006; 184 (5): 213-21.
- Hospital overcrowding: a threat to patient safety? Peter A Cameron (Editorial). MJA 2006; 184 (5): 203-20
- Emergency Medicine Consultants. Workforce Recommendations. College of Emergency Medicine, April 2010.
Emergency Medicine in the UK
- Primary Care and Emergency Departments. Report from the Primary Care Foundation March 2010.
- The Way Ahead 2008-2012. Strategy and guidance for Emergency Medicine in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. College of Emergency Medicine. December 2008.
Emergency Medicine in Australia
- Guidelines for Constructing an Emergency Medicine Medical Workforce. Guideline 23
- ED process redesign: 3:2:1 rule -NSW clinical services redesign program:
- American College of Emergency Physicians. Emergency Department Observation Services.1997.?Al Darrab, A. Fan, J. Fernandez, C.M.B., Zimmerman, R. Smith. R, Woster, A. Smith, T & O’Connor, K.
- How does fast track affect quality of care in the Emergency Department?, Eur J Emerg Med. 2006 Feb;13(1):32-5. [Note: username and password required for full text access]
- Cooke, M. W., Arora, P. and Mason, S. Discharge from triage: modelling the potential in different types of emergency department: Emerg Med J 2003; 20:131-133
- Cooke, M.W & Fisher, J. Reducing attendance and waits in A&E departments: A review and survey of present innovations. NHS UK 2004.
- Cooke, M. W., Higgins, J. & Kidd, P. Use of emergency observation and assessment wards: a systematic literature review. Emerg Med J 2003; 20:138-142
- Cooke. M.W., Wilson, S & Pearson S. The effect of a separate stream for minor injuries on accident and emergency department waiting times. Emerg Med J 2002; 19: p.28-30.
- Emergency Services Collaborative, NHS Modernisation Agency. Making See and Treat work for all Patients and Staff. 2002
- Hassan, T. B, Clinical decision units in the emergency department: old concepts, new paradigms, and refined gate keeping. Emerg Med J 2003; 20: p.123-125.
- Kasap D. Health Service Acute/Post Acute Care Service Evaluation of the First Year of Service 2001-2002. Northern Sydney Area Health Service 2002
- McGowan A, & Hassan, T. Clinical Decision Units: A new development in the United Kingdom. Emergency Medicine 2003 15(1): p.15-18.
- Royal Melbourne Hospital Clinical Epidemiology & Health Service Evaluation Unit. Models of Care to Optimise Acute Length of Stay: Short Stay Observation Unit (SOU), Medical Assessment and Planning Unit (MAPU) and Emergency Medical Unit (EMU). 2004. [Note: document in PDF]
- Sakr M, Angus J, Perrin J, Nixon C, Nicholl J, Wardrope J. Care of minor injuries by emergency nurse practitioners or junior doctors: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 1999 Oct 16;354(9187):1321-6. [Note: username and password required for full text access]
- Also see comments: Lancet. 1999 Oct 16;354(9187):1319-20.?? Lancet. 2000 Jan 15;355(9199):229; author reply 229-30.nLancet. 2000 Jan 15;355(9199):229; author reply 229-30. Lancet. 2000 Jan 155;355(9199):229; author reply 229-30. Lancet. 2000 Jan 15;355(9199):230.
- Taylor, D McD, Bennett, D. M, and Cameron P. A. A paradigm shift in the nature of care provision in emergency departments. Emerg Med J. 2004; 21; 681-684
- Wilson. S., Shorten, B. and Marks. R. Costing the ambulatory episode: Implications of total or partial substitution of hospital care. Australian Health Review 2005 vol.29 no 3. [Note: username and password required for full text access]
CDUs / Observation medicine
- Daly S, Campbell DA et al. Review. MJA 2009; 191 (9): 496-498 Clinical Epidemiology and Health Service Evaluation Unit. Short stay and observation units- final report. Melbourne: Melbourne Health, 30 May 2001
- M W Cooke, J Higgins, P Kidd. Use of emergency observation and assessment wards: a systematic literature review. Emerg Med J 2003;20:138?142
- Arnold J, Goodacre S et al. Structure, process and outcomes of chest pain units established in the ESCAPE Trial. Emerg. Med. J. 2007;24(7) :462-466
- Roberts RR, Zalenski RJ et al Costs of an Emergency Department?Based Accelerated Diagnostic Protocol vs Hospitalization in Patients With Chest Pain. JAMA 1997 Nov 26;278(20):1670-6.
- Clinical Epidemiology and Health Service Evaluation Unit. Short stay and observation units- final report. Melbourne: Melbourne Health, 30 May 2001.
- R.Roberts, L.Graff IV. Economic Issues in Observation Unit Medicine (Review). Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America, Volume 19 (1):19-19
- Roberts et al. Can and Emergency Department-based Clinical Decision Unit successfully utilize alternatives to emergency hospitalisation. EJEm 2010, 17:89-96
[s2If is_user_logged_in()] [/s2If]